Wednesday, June 8, 2016

While I Fast

By: lahipan

the day seemed shortened
by roles to portray and
quizzes to study
amidst an empty stomach

but, the day is longer
with too little work
for it leaves me counting—
two hours, nineteen minutes
left and counting only
draws me closer to a happiness

draws me closer to the kitchen
where I see Inah
boil water for soup, as she puts out
the baulu, and wadjit
from its hiding place

one hour and counting
draws me closer to a table
dressed in rainbow colored
little delicacies. i am counting
how many putli mandi to eat as my
grumbling stomach count with me

half an hour left, and strangely
i am counting men, women
and children whose empty stomachs
protest beyond sunset.
Without a choice, hunger accompanies
Them through night and day.

---------
Baulu: A Tausug pastry similar to a cupcake
Wadjit: glutinous rice cooked in coconut cream and brown sugar, usually
purple in color. It’s extra delicious when added with a durian or durian jam.
Putli Mandi: sweet rice balls filled with coconut shreds bathed in brown sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment