Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Call

By: Everlyn Jaji

I could only remember
the softness of pillow,
the wind from the electric fan
finding its way through my pajamas
and the night
whose darkness never fails to drown
tired men and women to slumber—
before my eyelids
weakened by the day
shut
in peace.

And in the tranquil of the night
my soul is satisfied that it had hours
of visits to places and people
until

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar
Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar…

It is the voice
from the nearby Masjid
mixing with the night air
penetrating through the windows
signaling the beginning of dawn.

Hayya ‘alas-Salah…

Prayer? But, the whispers tell me
the night is still long and my soft pillow
need not be abandoned this early.
Yes, still an hour before sunrise
Maybe, just a little more…

As-Salatu khairum minan-nawm…

my eyelids pulled open
as if the call became right beside my ears
my yearning for forgiveness
and for a day started with that meeting
also awoken

And thus, my body
parts from the inviting comforts of sleep
in search for the purifying water.

--------
Allahu Akbar: Allah is Great
Masjid: Arabic word for the place of worship of the Muslims
Hayya ‘alas-Salah: Come to Prayer
As-Salatu khairun minan-nawm: Prayer is better than sleep


No comments:

Post a Comment